Expanding Health and Wellbeing Benefits Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
Since late February, Mars has been expanding our healthcare benefits and well-being resources–for our essential Associates going into work at factories, labs and veterinary hospitals, and for the tens of thousands of Associates who are now working from home.
“The pandemic has created a seismic shift in our lives, relationships and demands at work and home. In response, we must adopt new ways to invest in our physical health, boost our emotional resilience and strengthen our connection to others. Mars has made significant investments in new workplace tools, benefits and resources to help Associates thrive and achieve their unique purpose during this unprecedented time.”
- Ron Joines, MD, MPH, Mars Health and Wellbeing Director
Among the benefits we are expanding:
- New Mars Health Associates focused on preventing and managing workplace health risks, including COVID-19.
- Insurance coverage for medically-necessary testing and treatment for COVID-19.
- Our Associate Assistance Program (AAP), which provides people managers, Associates and members of their household with education and resources to manage the new pressures in their lives, one-on-one sessions for behavioral counseling, and referral if needed– at no cost to them. By June 1, 2020, we will have introduced AAP to Associates in 50+ new markets, including China.
- Telemedicine and behavioral health access and coverage through/during COVID-19 care. Where we have gaps, we are moving to close them.
- Access to leading medical specialists and care for complex needs through programs such as Aetna Second Opinion, powered by 2nd MD, available for US Associates.
- Home care advice from our on-staff Health and Wellbeing team for Associates and their family members if confirmed or suspected to be ill with COVID-19.
To help Associates to boost and to better manage their energy, keep physically active, foster emotional resilience and stay focused on what matters most, we have gone digital with a number of resources. We converted our most impactful energy and wellbeing into virtual workshops to meet our Associates’ needs in improving their physical, mental and emotional energy.
We’ve also launched virtual trainings to ensure Associate development continues, even as many of us remain home. We’ve launched new trainings to upskill current Line Managers who are now managing and engaging teams remotely. In May, we will roll out a remote working policy to provide support for Associates and Managers as they navigate remote working.