The world we want tomorrow is one where the planet is healthy, people and pets are thriving, and society is inclusive. Our Sustainable in a Generation Plan is our science-based guide on the actions we must take today to reach our goals, and our 2020 scorecard shows our progress against our Healthy Planet, Thriving People and Nourishing Wellbeing targets this past year.
We’re proud that despite unprecedented challenges posed by COVID-19, our Associates and business continued to work toward our ambitious objectives to drive positive change for people and the planet.
“Our responsibility as a global business, with an environmental footprint the size of a small country, is to help drive the solutions needed for the planet,” says Barry Parkin, Chief Procurement and Sustainability Officer. “Our Sustainable in a Generation Plan is built on what’s right, not on what’s easy. It’s science-based and supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.” Hear more about Barry’s thoughts on our progress and what actions we must continue to take to reach our goals here.
- We draw 54% of our electricity from renewable sources, and many of our sites — Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Lithuania, Mexico, Poland, Spain and the United Kingdom — are at 100%.
- We’ve launched a series of packaging pilots around the world, including one in the U.K. that’s already saving 51 metric tons of plastic a year.
- Our land use is down, and we’ve reduced our palm mill partners to 100 from 1,500.
- We reached more than 200,000 people in supplier factories and supply chains with programs designed to improve incomes and respect for rights.
- In 2020, we donated $39+ million cash (USD) and in-kind donations to support communities suffering COVID-related impacts, and to-date we’ve contributed more than $42 million to COVID relief efforts.
- Through our Mars Global Food Safety Center, along with strategic partners, we’re continuing to make progress in tackling food safety challenges around the globe.
Check out how we’re performing against our sustainability targets in our 2020 Sustainable in a Generation Plan scorecard, and learn more about all of the work we’re doing for the planet, people and pets here.
While we’re proud of the progress we’ve made since launching our Sustainable in a Generation Plan in 2017, we recognize we have more to do to create the world we want tomorrow. We’re confident by working together to make progress today, we’re creating a world where everyone thrives for generations to come.