A Passion for Positive Impact
As a family-owned company, we believe in business as a power for good.
Striving to Make a Difference,
Generation After Generation
The world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today.
Mars has been a family-owned business for over a century. Like any business, we set measures to track our progress. But unlike just any business, we are a company owned across generations who thinks in generations. We guide ourselves by The Five Principles, and firmly believe what has made us successful is more than just thinking about the bottom line.
The Family reinvests approximately 90 percent of profits back into the Mars business to achieve bold transformations, including:
- $1 billion to address climate change, poverty and economic development through our Sustainable in a Generation initiative.
- $1 billion to support the smallholder farmers who grow some of our most important raw materials.
- $15 million investment in CARE over the next five years to empower 50,000 people in cocoa sourcing communities and to contribute to COVID response focused on women across five countries in cocoa, mint and fish supply chains.
- $6.5 million investment in initiatives to empower women in coconut, vanilla and shea sourcing communities.
Investing in Communities
Investing in Communities
Mars began as a small, family-run business over a century ago. We are still family-owned, and our family values continue to inspire us to strengthen the economy of every community in which we operate.
Reinvesting in the business allows us to grow and create jobs. Mars employs more than 135,000 Associates worldwide. 60,000 alone in the United States — across 33 factories, 2,000 veterinary hospitals, and 17 offices and retail stores. Over 95 percent of what we sell in the U.S. is manufactured in the U.S. And over the past five years, Mars has invested more than $1 billion to support thousands of jobs.
In addition to investment in the communities where we work, we are committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of 1 million people across our value chain by 2030. Our programs increase income for smallholder farmers; advance respect for human rights in our factories, fisheries and farms; and expand access to capital for women.
Supporting Our Associates
At Mars, we’re working together to build a better future for Mars Associates and the world.
We offer resources to help them thrive:
- Educational pathways and career growth opportunities
- Continued COVID-19 support, including paid time off, testing and treatment
- Health and wellness programs
- Student debt support
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, including Associate Resource Groups (ARG) to foster inclusion and diversity core in our business
We invest in our Associates’ futures by providing guidance and mentoring from day one, along with all the training and opportunities they need to build a career they can be proud of.
As a family business we give back through our philanthropic efforts, providing cash and in-kind donations to humanitarian, disaster relief and other global crises.
To date, donations for COVID-19 relief total more than $42 million.
In response to the war in Ukraine, Mars committed $12 million to humanitarian causes to help affected people and pets. This commitment included matching Associate donations up to $1M to directly benefit Mars Associates in Ukraine.
Through our Mars Ambassador Program (MAP), Mars has enabled Associates to give approximately $8M worth of skilled volunteer hours to nonprofit organizations that support the communities where we make and sell our products.